SC Laminorul SA Braila is a large commercial company, specialising in processing ferrous metals in their primary and semi-finished state.
Since its creation after the WWI, the company had become a part of the town’s history. Being an important source of employment, having a low cost land for construction, having a possibility of raw materials import by river (thus keeping the low transport costs) - all of these have resulted in an almost century long non-stop industrial activity.
SC Laminorul SA Braila came into existence in 1923 and at the time was called “David Goldenberg and Sons” under the Corporate Body Agreement N 136/17.01.1923. The Company, situated in Transilvania street, was first producing drawn wire, nails and hard components. In 1927 a greater variety of products was introduced, including chains, bolts and rivets.
In 1928 a private body “Industria Sarmei”, Kluzh, asked the Mayor’s Office of Braila for land for the purpose of mill construction, which it got the next year free of charge by the Decision of Municipal Board under N 02695/ 11.02.1929. The first wire and sorting mill comes into existence in Muntenia (the territory from South Carpathian to Danube) on a 5 hectare land, in the region known as Osaria.
Laminorul, known as Laminoril 1, started its production of different wire sizes (from imported billets) a year later. Laminorul 2 was built and commenced its operations in 1931 under the company “David Goldenberg and Sons”. Here the production included wire, reinforcement bars, flat bars, steel for bolts and rivets.
The Company “David Goldenberg and Sons” was bought by Max Auschnitt in 1933, it became a part of consortium TITAN – NADRAG – CALAN and a production unit for agricultural forks was established next to the Laminorul 1. In 1938 the Company “David Goldenberg and Sons” changed its name to “Interprinderile Metalurgice Dunarene” (Danube Metallurgical Companies).
On 11th of June 1948 both of the companies were nationalised but kept on working separately until 1959, where “Intreprinderile” and “Industria Sarmei” were incorprorated into one company “Uzina Laminorul Braila” (Plant Laminorul Braila). Within this period the product variety was increased once again and in 1967 when the new production unit for commercial chains was opened, new equipment was imported from Germany. Within the next 2 years Laminorul 2 was modernised and in 1973 Laminorul 3 was created from equipment of other metallurgical plants for the production of square bars, round bars, flat bars and special profiles for auto industry. In the same year two mini mills started producing from bull rod. The wiredrawing unit and nails unit were modernised in 1974-1975. In 1978 the drawing-calibration unit started producing standardised round steel, standardised square steel, standardised flat bars for auto industry (drawing steel or soften steel in a controlled environment).
Laminorul 4 came into existence in 1979, producing round bars, square bars, flat bars of any size, equal and unequal angles, special profiles for shipyards industry, therefore increasing the company’s products’ variety.
Due to the 50 years of experience in technological engineering of milling , in 1980s Laminorul was more or less producing any profile with a cross section of 36 mm² to 6400 mm², depending on the market’s demand. From the 1993 onwards the engineering process is computerised through programs created by the company’s specialists.
Today, Laminorul Braila has overcome a long transitional period from the centralised economy to the market economy and is in a stage of lively development. After the long privatisation process came to an end in July 2006, Laminorul.